Even though you’re one of those who oppose the use of hand sanitizers, you cannot deny that you can benefit from them. There are times when using plain oil water and soap isn’t possible. And if you don’t want to wash your hands on a rusty sink at the nearest gas station, then a sanitizer will definitely come in handy.
That being said, the sanitizers that we have today may contain dangerous chemicals that not only kill the germs, but may also pose risk to us. Given the fact that we touch our faces about 2,000 times daily, it is only right that we make sure our hands are clean. Here’s a recipe that for a homemade sanitizer that effectively rids of germs without the harsh chemicals found in commercial hand sanitizers today.
What You’ll Need:
- A quarter cup of aloe vera gel (if possible go for organic)
- Five drops of clove essential oil for fighting bacteria and microbes
- 20 drops of orange essential oil for the antioxidants and antiseptic properties
- 10 drops of lavender essential oil for fighting viruses and bacteria
- Five drops of rosemary essential oil for preventing fungal and bacterial infections
- 10 drops of cinnamon essential oil for its astringent, antibacterial, and antimicrobial properties
When the ingredients above are ready, get a container, such as a silicon tube. Then, mix all the ingredients and put the mixture in the tube. You can now use it as a sanitizer. This recipe though is quite mild, so if you want a stronger one, the next recipe is for you.
What You’ll Need:
- One teaspoon of rubbing alcohol
- ¼ cup of Aloe vera gel
- Tea tree essential oil
- Cinnamon essential oil
- Distilled water
You can add more essential oils that you like to improve the smell. You can also use ½ teaspoon of vegetable glycerin if you wish. You can improve the sanitizer by using colloidal or ionic silver instead of distilled water, but if those options aren’t available, water will work just fine.
With the ingredients ready, here are the steps to follow:
- Get a small bowl.
- Add the aloe vera gel, glycerin, and rubbing alcohol first.
- Then add all the essential oils. Here, you can improve the scent using peppermint, lavender, orange, or lemongrass.
- Mix all the ingredients well.
- Add the distilled water or the ionic or colloidal silver, which will make the solution thinner.
- If you have other oils, you can still add them during this stage.
- Transfer the hand sanitizer using a medicine dropper or a funnel to a spray or a bottle.
You can now start using the homemade sanitizer. Make sure that you consult a doctor before you use anything with essential oils, especially if you will share the sanitizers with your children or you have a medical condition.