Superfoods are foods that are said to promote good health. They are named so because they have the ability to ward off certain health conditions, including cancer, cholesterol, and heart disease. Consuming these superfoods could lead you to a drug-free life, while lowering your risk of acquiring various illnesses.
Here are the best superfoods you should add to your grocery list to gain health protection:
1. Almonds – Of course you shouldn’t just settle for any kind of almonds as they have to be organic. Don’t go for those that are heated commercially, since they are not superfoods because of their fat content. Raw almonds can give you numerous nutrients, including vitamin E, protein, fiber, magnesium, potassium, and calcium among others. Don’t be misled by pasteurized almonds though as they are definitely unhealthy.
2. Alaskan Salmon –if you love fish, this is a good choice. Wild Alaskan Salmon is very beneficial to your health as it contains high levels of EPA and DHA, along with protein and several antioxidants.
3. Coconut Oil –When shopping for cooking oil, go for coconut oil, the organic kind of course. The fat content found in this type of oil is called lauric acid, which is difficult to find in other sources. The body reacts to this acid by converting it to monolaurin, which can prevent viruses, bacteria, and other harmful organisms from entering the body. Apart from that, it has saturated fat that can promote heart health, boost your immune system, and give you more daily energy.
4. Eggs – Once again, go for organic eggs that are pastured since they are cheap and have several nutrients to offer, including the nine essential amino acids, high quality protein, lutein, zeaxanthin, choline, and B12. Eating raw eggs or at least something close to raw (poached or soft-boiled) is more ideal than fully cooked eggs.
5. Kale – A cruciferous vegetable with many health benefits, kale should be added to your grocery list as it is a natural superfood. It helps in lung congestion and also provides relief to stomach pains. Kale also strengthens both your immune system and your liver. You can also find vitamins in it including A, B, and C and nutrients, such as Calcium, Zeaxanthin, iron, chlorophyll, lutein, and indole-3-carbinol, which aids in protecting against colon cancer.
6. Kefir – Organic kefir or yogurt is also one of the superfoods that you should incorporate in your diet. Make sure though that it is from grass-fed cow in order to experience its many benefits. Drinking kefir can boost your immunity and even your energy. It can also help you with problems, such as insulin resistance and weight loss. Other benefits include magnesium, calcium, proteins, and vitamins B1, B2, B7, and K.
These foods are superfoods indeed with their many health benefits. Note though that they don’t heal certain diseases and should not be taken as such. However, if you consume them regularly, they can help you by protecting your body against known sicknesses.