Most of us brush our teeth at least 730 times a year. Unfortunately, conventional toothpastes contain various ingredients that are harmful to our health. While it is true, we don’t ingest them, we use the product at least twice daily and from time to time, there is a chance that we swallow a small amount. Some of the ingredients that should make you think twice in your store-bought toothpaste are:
- Sodium fluoride which can contribute to thyroid disease, arthritis, bone fractures, and muscle disorders
- Synthetic dyes which can be carcinogenic
- Sodium hydroxide which is extremely corrosive and can cause eye damage
Aside from the ones mentioned above, most toothpaste products have sodium lauryl sulfate, artificial sweeteners, triclosan, and titanium dioxide – all of these can harm the body.
So instead of using conventional toothpaste, here are some DIY toothpaste recipes. The first one is effective for removing bad breath. Here are the ingredients:
- One teaspoon of baking soda
- A few drops of water
- One teaspoon of peppermint extract
- One teaspoon of sea salt
Just mix all the ingredients above in a small bowl until you form a thick paste. Get your toothbrush and start brushing.
For this recipe, make sure that the water you use is filtered water. If you can’t find peppermint extract, go for peppermint essential oil, which is actually better. Use 10 to 15 drops of the essential oil. If you don’t like peppermint, use any of your favorite flavors, such as orange or spearmint. The sea salt should be fine, but it can be removed in the ingredients list if you don’t want your toothpaste to be salty.
Here’s another recipe that’s great for strengthening and cleaning teeth. The ingredients are as follows:
- Four tablespoons of coconut oil
- One tablespoon of xylitol powder
- Two tablespoons of baking soda
- 20 drops of essential oil, specifically cinnamon or clove
- 30 drops of trace minerals
- 20 drops of peppermint essential oil
Same as with the first recipe, just combine in a bowl. You can also use a food processor. Scoop with your toothbrush to start using. The ingredients above can give you 30 uses of the homemade toothpaste, so you can store it in a well-covered glass jar. If it dries out, just add some filtered water.
Making toothpaste is really easy and does not even need five minutes of your time. Natural ingredients are really good for you and you can start experimenting using coconut oil, crushed cacao nibs, and bentonite clay.