Papaya was nicknamed as the fruit of the angels by Christopher Columbus and has many benefits for our health. It is a fruit that has low sodium content, but bursting with vitamin A.
It’s not only good for our physical health, but also for our skin and hair. It can help exfoliate the skin and lighten it, while making hair stronger, shinier, and more beautiful. This is why papaya is often an ingredient in many beauty products.
When it comes to our hair, we consider it our crowning glory. But it doesn’t deserve this title if it is dull and dry. This is where the papaya hair mask becomes an effective way to restore our hair’s shine. Instead of using commercial products that contain harsh chemicals, the papaya hair mask only uses natural ingredients that can support and bolster your hair’s health.
Here’s a papaya hair mask recipe that is not only safe for your hair, but is also cost-effective.
What You’ll Need:
- Extra virgin olive oil
Make sure that the papaya you use is of good quality. Look for a fruit that is mostly yellow. A little green won’t hurt if you want to wait for it to become ripe at home. But if you’re going to use it right away, choose a papaya that is fully yellow. Even though it is ripe, it should be firm, but will yield a bit to gentle pressure. It should have soft skin and heavy for its size.
When the three ingredients above are ready, here are the steps to follow:
- Remove the skin of the papaya.
- Wash it a little bit and remove excess water using a piece of clean cloth.
- Slice the papaya in half. You will only need ½ of the fruit.
- Remove the black seeds using a spoon.
- Start chopping the papaya fruit using a knife into cubes.
- Place the pieces of the fruit to your food processor and add one to two tablespoons of the olive oil. You can add more of the oil if you wish, particularly if you have really dry hair. Add a tablespoon of honey too.
- Start processing the ingredients and stop when it has a creamy texture.
- Place in a bowl or any container and you can start applying the papaya mask directly to your hair.
- Make sure that you rinse your hair first before you apply the mask. Focus on the tips, which will help repair your split ends.
- Rinse after 30 minutes and wash your hair like you normally would be using shampoo and conditioner.
As for the other half of the papaya, you can store it for later use. You can either eat it or you can combine it with aloe vera, which can help whiten your skin.