We often judge a thing by its appearance. Be it a person, an animal, or a material, the first impression almost always lasts. However, when it comes to plants, judging is always not a good thing.
For instance, a weed-like plant is gaining popularity because of the health benefits you can have with it. But because of its appearance (it looks like a weed), it is pulled before it can start growing.
Before you pull out the purslane “weed” from your garden, you should first know all the amazing things it can do to your body.
The following is a list of some health benefits you can gain with the purslane, which will make you think twice about eradicating the plant from your yard:
1. Multivitamins: Purslane is rich in omega-3 fatty acids that are good for the heart. Plus, it also has substantial amounts of vitamins A, B, and C. It is also packed with minerals necessary for good bodily functions like potassium, copper, and calcium.
2. Osteoporosis Prevention: There are adequate amounts of calcium, manganese, iron, and magnesium in a serving of purslane. These minerals are essential for overall good bone health.
3. Heart-Friendly: As mentioned earlier, purslane is rich in omega-3 fatty acids that promote good heart health. Aside from that, this “weed” also contains potassium, which is also good for your heart. Potassium acts as a natural blood pressure regulator for your body. It teams up with omega-3 fatty acids, which help lessen the bad cholesterols inside your body.
4. Digestion Helper: While purslane as a healthy plant may sound new to you, for the Chinese, this has been recognized as a fact for centuries. The Chinese have been using purslane as a remedy for gastrointestinal maladies, such as dysentery and diarrhea.
5. Weight Management: If you have problems with weight loss, purslane is for you. This plant is rich in fiber, which is known to help you lose all the unwanted flab in your body. It is also low in calories so it can be an ideal snack for dieters.
For many people, purslane looks like a useless, plant-destroying weed, but its health benefits say it all: it is a one kind of a super plant. Consume purslane to achieve a healthier body. Though it does not look that appetizing, you will be amazed on how good it tastes. Plus, don’t forget about the nutrients you can gain with just one serving.