Red onions, which are also called Spanish onions, are known for making people cry when they chop this ingredient. But what many should know about is the health benefits associated with these bulbs.
Onions have essential nutrients, along with phytochemicals that promote good health. Red onions are quite versatile as they can be added to sandwiches, salads, or in cooking recipes.
The pungent odor shouldn’t keep you away from red onions, especially after you learn about these unbelievable health benefits of these humble kitchen ingredients:
1. Red onions help you stave off infections because they have carminative, antimicrobial, antiseptic, and antibiotic properties.
2. They are nutritious, offering tons of vitamins and minerals, including fiber, calcium, potassium, sulfur, and vitamins B and C.
3. Onions are used to cure various minor ailments, including sore throat, common cold, allergies, and fever. Mixing the juice from onion with honey will do the trick.
4. For those with fever, simply place a slice of onion on the forehead and it will help lower temperature.
5. If your nose is bleeding and you have an onion nearby, start inhaling and this will help stop or slow down nosebleeds.
6. Red onions are good for the digestive system because they help increase digestive juices, making it easy to process food.
7. If you have a minor skin problem, such as an insect bite or sunburn, get the juice from an onion and apply onto the affected area. This would sting, but it will help heal the wound faster.
8. Red onions can also aid in fighting cancers, such as colon cancer.
9. They are also good for the heart and bones. Consuming red onions every day can help protect you against atherosclerosis and osteoporosis. They also lower bad cholesterol, so that you can stay safe from cardiovascular diseases.
10. Red onions are also good for diabetics because they can help increase the insulin in the body. They also control blood sugar levels, making them a necessary addition to your diet.
11. For those with arthritis, eating onions every day is a must because they can heal inflammation that promotes symptoms of the condition.
12. You can get rid of body pains with the help of red onions. Add some castor oil or even sesame oil and apply on the affected regions. You will feel relief in no time.
Half cup of chopped onions has 32 calories and best of all, there’s no fat or cholesterol. This makes red onion a great choice for people who are watching their calorie intake.